Friday, April 18, 2008

What Happened in Vegas 3.16.08

Late last Summer I took a trip to Las Vegas for a Fabric/Clothing Show Convention. I decided I would arrive early in the morning and leave late that night.

I am not one that is bothered by traveling alone. In fact, I enjoy it. However, earlier that Spring, I went to Las Vegas alone. I decided I didn’t want to pay $300 for a hotel room so I stayed up all night waiting for my plane to leave at 6 a.m. Let me just say, some freaky things go on in Las Vegas between 2 - 4 a.m. in the morning. I think it was made worse by the fact that I was alone.

One young fellow, who looked to be no more than 19 years old, asked me to go up to his room and smoke some pot with him and his friends and another fellow that would not leave me alone kept trying to talk to me and following me around. I tried to be polite but after a 1/2 hour of him telling me how rich he was (yeah right) that he had a private jet and he would take me where ever I wanted to go, I finally ditched him. I seriously think that guy was some sort of serial killer and I still get a chill just thinking about it. This was all just the tip of the iceberg too. There were several other things that I won’t mention here because some younger children read this blog.

For this next trip to Vegas, I booked a late flight home the same night, so I wouldn’t have to spend the night. I had just arrived in Vegas and was taking the Shuttle Bus over to the convention when this Little Asian Dude sat down in the chair across the aisle. He tried to make eye contact and talk to me but I gave him my half smile that says "leave me the heck alone" more than "nice, to meet you," (anyone who knows me knows that particular smile of mine, hehe) and hoped that by not looking his way again he would leave me alone.

Well, at the next stop the person sitting by me got off and the Asian Dude slid over next to me. Oh great. He tapped me on the shoulder. I glanced over but didn’t really look him in the face. He was handing me his card. I took it, said thank you, and just put it in my purse without looking at it. He turned forward and I could tell he was irritated. Right at that second, something clicked and I remembered reading Business Etiquette 101 on the internet one time. It said it was extremely rude, in Asian cultures, not to read a business card that was handed to you. I also remembered that it was polite to hold it with both hands while reading it and that the longer you read, the more respect you were showing.

So, dang, guess what stupid mistake I made next? I took the card back out of my purse, held it with both hands and read the whole thing. Well, apparently, I read it a little too long and showed a little too much respect.....if you know what I mean.

After that he would not leave me alone. He told me what hotel he was headed to. He told me all about how he was a movie producer and he was here doing a documentary on gambling. He told me where he lived and all about his life. He told me what he wanted out of life. And seriously, this was in the space of about 10 minutes. Well, no problem, his hotel was one of the first on the route so I could just be polite and he would be gone in a minute or two. His hotel came, a few people got off...he stayed on. Oh crap....

To Be Continued....

No comments: