Saturday, April 19, 2008

They saved his life! (kind of)


Toad and Fatty found our dog Buddy digging in the snow. He pulled out a chipmunk by its tail. Started shaking it violently. Toad and Bubba were horrified! They decided to save the little guy.

First they distracted Buddy by dumping out his WHOLE bag of dogfood. Then they picked the little fellow up with a ziplock bag. At this point, they noticed he was definitely still breathing. I told them that wouldn't last long if they didn't unzip the ziplock bag.

Next they went and got a little towel, wrapped up the chipmunk, and put him in the sun. As he dried out, he began to move a little. He was pretty stunned from being shaken so hard.

Here he is still looking pretty wet and matted up from being in Buddy's mouth.



He finally crawled off and got on with his little chipmunk life. Least that is what I told the girls. I think he may have just crawled off to die in the bushes. His back legs weren't working and I suspect his back was broke.

I feel guilty that I didn't put him out of his misery instead of making him suffer for so long. But all I could think to do was get the ax and chop off his little head.....and I just didn't have it in me. Plus- the girls would have been scarred for life I am sure.

2 comments:

caseyoconnell said...

He's probably going to have brain damage and will spend the rest of his life a lot like my Uncle Fred. He'll end up spending his entire chipmunk career as a janitor and will go off on long, rambling stories with no point at all. Other chipmunks will shake their heads and say, "That boy's just never been the same since that dog shook him."

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. Funny Casey.

Leilani